Surgeries are a very costly affair. They not only drain you out financially, but also physically and emotionally. That is why taking good care of oneself is of utmost importance and should be one everybody’s preference list. Today we are going to be talking about the bypass surgery. Coronary artery bypass graft (CABG, pronounced “cabbage”) surgery, and colloquially heart bypass or bypass surgery is a surgical procedure to restore normal blood flow to an obstructed coronary artery. A normal coronary artery transports blood to and from the heart muscle itself, not through the main circulatory system.
On an average the cost of bypass surgery in India costs between the ranges of INR 1.5L to 4.5L. There are mainly two approaches, which are given below:
- In one, the left internal thoracic artery (internal mammary artery) is diverted to the left anterior descending branch of the left coronary artery.
- In the other method, a great saphenous vein is removed from leg; one end is attached to the aorta or one of its major branches, and the other end is attached to the obstructed artery immediately after the obstruction to restore blood flow.
One can find the best surgeon for coronary artery bypass surgery in India, but yet there are a few complications that are associated with it. Below are a few of them:
- Postperfusion syndrome (pumphead), a transient neurocognitive impairment associated with cardiopulmonary bypass.
- Non-union of the sternum; internal thoracic artery harvesting increases the sternum devascularization risk.
- Myocardial infarction due to embolism, hypoperfusion, or graft failure.
- Late graft stenosis, particularly of saphenous vein grafts due to astherosclerosis causing recurrent angina or myocardial infarction.
- Acute renal failure, due to embolism or hypoperfusion.
- Stroke, secondary to embolism or hypoperfusion.
- Vasoplegic syndrome, secondary to cardiopulmonary bypass and hypothermia.
- Graft failure, grafts last about 8-15yeasr and then need to be replaced.
- Pneumothorax: an air collection around the lung that compresses the lung.
- Hemothorax: blood in the space around the lung.
- Pericardial tamponade: blood collection around the heart that compresses the heart and causes poor body and brain perfusion.
- Pleural effusion: fluid in the space around lungs. This can lead to hypoxia which can be aslow recovery.
- Lower extremity edema, extravsation, inflammation, and eccymoses from vein harvest, entrapment of up to 9 pounds (4.1kg) of fluid in the extremity is common.
Apart from these, there are a few general surgery related complications listed below:
- Infection at incision sites
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Anesthetic complications such as malignant hyperthermia
- Keloid scarring
- Chronic pain at incision sites
- Chronic stress related illness.
I know all this could sound pretty frightening. But I hope this article has all the information you need about the Coronary artery bypass graft surgery or the bypass surgery. So if you know that there might be someone in need of information on the surgery, then go ahead and share it with them and help them out.